Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

Mackay North State School opened on 23 March, 1915 with 68 students. Mr R Harvey served as the founding headmaster and teacher until the arrival of Miss Frost who was appointed as the second teacher in April, 1915.

Enrolments continued to increase steadily over the years as did the number of teaching staff and buildings. The school experienced a dramatic increase in enrolments beginning in the late 1960's and continuing on into the 1970's when enrolments peaked at 1172 pupils and 36 teachers in 1978. At that point, Mackay North State School was the 5th largest state primary school in Queensland.

Despite several new buildings erected on the school grounds, classroom space was at a premium. The situation was alleviated when two new schools, Fitzgerald and Northview were constructed in the area. When Fitzgerald opened in 1978, the school experienced a marked decline in the number of students attending the school. However, the loyalty and dedication of the remaining staff and students remains.

Today, Mackay North State School maintains a steady and comfortable enrolment of approximately 400 pupils. The dedicated teaching and support staff continue to maintain its strong commitment to developing every students' academic, sporting, cultural and social potential.

Mackay North State School will be celebrating its centenary in 2015.